Wednesday, August 17, 2011

8 days and counting!

Eight days and counting!  A week from Friday Mom and I depart from Atlanta bound for Nairobi and what looks like an amazing 6 days of sightseeing in 3 different parks and animal perserves.  It is unclear how much internet access we will have during our expedition, however if possible I will post a bit about the trip. 

In addition to the traditional safari, we will be spending two nights at Swara Plains.  For those of you AYF'rs you may remember David Hopcraft was a forum speaker 3 years ago at NLC.  Swara Plains is animal perserve he and his family founded.  While preparing for his forum (prior to my little cancer sabatical) I learned a bit about Swara Plains and thought how someday I would love to visit!  And now I get to visit and see this amazing place.

We will return from Swara Plains to Nairobi and Mom will head back to the states and I will head into the next portion of this adventure.  If all goes as planned, I will be volunteering for two weeks at the Mukuru Slums Development Project.  Not quite sure yet what I might be doing or even where I might be staying but I am sure it will all fall into place.  This portion of the trip is incredibly exciting and a wee bit frightening as I dont have any idea what to really expect. I have a feeling the dicotome of experiences may take a bit to wrap my head and heart around; wealth, priviledge versus extreme poverty and all that goes with it.

Once those two weeks are up, I will fly from Nairobi to Johannesburg and meet up with Andy.  We will rent a car and will spend the next 9 days finding our way from Johannesburg to Cape Town.  This is section of the trip that has absolutely nothing planned yet, and perhaps wont.  It's fun to wander and see what comes your way.

So, eight days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment