Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 3 at Mukuru Slums Development program

Sasa!
I learned recently that Jambo is actually only what people say to tourists.  Sasa or Mambo is how you say hello if you’re a local.  I said goodbye to my Mom on Monday and headed over to a neighborhood called South B where the apartment is that I am staying for the time I am here as well as the office for the Mukuru Slums Development Project.  I dropped my bags at the apartment and went straight to the office.  
I met the director and the manager of the social support services where I will be spending most of my time.  I received a tour and a briefing on all of the services provided by MSDP.  It is a fairly large operation with several different branches.  Prior to 2006 all of these branches operated separately but in 2006 they merged together and formed a formal NGO.  The social services department is made up of Economic empowerment, Medical support, emergency feeding, temporary rent, transports , referral, networking, HIV/AIDS psychosocial support, and a cash for work program.  There is a Children and Youth department which has a weekend sports program, and a rehabilitation center.  There is a skills center which beneficiaries can learn hairdressing, catering, plumbing and masonry, and arts and crafts.  Within the Mukuru Slums MSDP has created a secondary school and finally a waste management program. If you would like to learn more MSDP has a website.  Just type in Mukuru Slums Development Project in your search engine and it should come up. 
I have had a chance to go on a home visit, work with part of the economic develop program making jewelry and tye dye marbling of large fabrics.  Tomorrow I will be going to visit business’ that MSDP has helped women get started and also one of the cash for work projects.   It’s been a very informative experience so far. 
I am sharing a 4 bedroom flat with two university students from Yugoslavia, two from Austria and one from Ireland.  One of the students is doing an internship at MSDP and has helped me get settled and figure out what I am doing.  The rest of the students are at other social service agencies and have all been here for 3-6 months and very passionate about the work they are doing.  It’s been wonderful to talk with them all and learn about what their organizations are doing as well.
As I am typing I am listening to the evening Call to Pray from the local mosque.  It is a wonderful surprise.  After spending early July with Kids for Peace and learning about the Call to Pray it is great to actually experience it.
On a sad note, I received news today of Jim McLeod passing.  It makes me very sad to know his light has left this world, but I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to know him.  If you are so inclined, please keep his family and friends in prayers.
I hope you are all well!  Time is flying by and I will be home before I know it. 
Much love!
E

No comments:

Post a Comment